Wednesday, March 23, 2011

How Food Shapes Us

I remember growing up and being in the kitchen with my mother. I remember asking her about the seasonings and how she did it. I know that she never measured and I wondered how you knew you had enough. She told me that it was about the taste, and what you liked. So for years I worked on it and learned what I liked above all else. When I finally figured that out, it was huge for me. I remember figuring out how to make my own recipes as a result.

One of the very first things I ever made my own was a shrimp and pasta dish. I have since come up with several of those, because Shrimp and Pasta are two of my very favorite things to eat in this world. And they are a great combination.

Another thing that I enjoy making is lamb. For me lamb is the absolute best thing ever. I worked hard to make lamb tasty and appealing to many people. I have family members who didn't like it. However, one time I made it and it was wonderful. I fed it to this cousin of mine. After he finished i asked him if he liked it. He said it was awesome, he loved it. By this time I was laughing so hard at him, and he didn't understand. I finally told him why, when i told him that he had just eaten lamb and loved it; he no longer had an excuse to say he didn't like lamb any longer. It was simply about how it was prepared. He had to grudgingly agree, but let me know in no uncertain terms that in the future he would ask me first what was for dinner before eating it.

Seasoning and flavor is truly what makes the food. Never let anyone else tell you otherwise. there are ingredients that are less than flavorful that we have eaten in different cuisines and on first try, i failed to make them taste good. Tofu is the one that stumped me the longest. However, now I have several different things that I make with it and several ways to use it. I love my tofu to be lightly fried up. i will season it simply, and then fry it in a wonderful olive oil so its browned on all sides. I love tofu just by itself, but its great in soups, salads and as a main dish with rice. I have used it in shakes and i have had it in a dessert. Its versatile and simple.

I'm a meat eater and I wont give it up, but I do love to eat vegan and vegetarian dishes as well. They are wonderful, healthy and filling without being over filling. For me its no different than eating a vegetable dish with my meal. I have found that I have had several friends, over the years, who were vegetarian or even vegan. As a cook and someone who loves to entertain, I like to make sure that I have a variety of dishes sitting there if I'm having guests over. that way no one feels slighted over not having a selection to eat with their meal as well.

People find what it is that they love, and they tend to eat those things and fix them. I love my pasta, rice and seafood. Not to mention vegetables and meat. I just love food. One of my sisters once told me that I could make anything taste gourmet. That made my heart sing, because I had lost touch with food for a while, due to circumstances in my life. But now, I am finding what it is that I want to do and what i want to make again. The passion is back.

I hope that we can get more people to come and see and watch what I post. I will be posting up some pictures and recipes soon along with a challenge to go with it. I hope to show you some awesome recipes and great food you can enjoy and try at home.

thanks for being here and checking me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment